Today, November 6th is National Nacho Day. However, this indulgent and comforting Tex-Mex favourite needn’t include super-salted maize chips, laden with processed cheese and lacking in nourishment.
We’ve created a wholesome and nutritious nacho recipe that the entire family can enjoy, brimming with flavour and goodness and quick to prepare (and eat!). Use organic vegetables and grass-fed meat wherever possible.
1 tbsp coconut oil
4 chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
½ large red onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large bell pepper any colour, finely chopped
200g mince (steak, beef, lamb, turkey or chicken depending on your preference)
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp natural sea salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato purée
Gluten and allergy free plain corn chip tortillas (plenty of supermarket options available)
Pecorino cheese, grated, the amount is up to you
1 ripe avocado, mashed with a squeeze of lemon to prevent it going brown
2 Jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced
Black olives, chopped
Fresh coriander to garnish
Fresh salsa – this can be made by chopping a couple of tomatoes, half an onion, 1-2 garlic cloves and fresh coriander and mixing with fresh lime juice and salt
- In a large pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms, onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add the mince to the pan and cook until brown.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper, and stir to coat the meat and veggies.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and tomato purée, stir well to combine, and bring the pan to a simmer. Reduce the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened and the flavours have had a chance to blend and intensify, about 10 minutes.
- If you want to layer your nachos, scatter half of the chips on a baking sheet, spoon half of the beef mixture over the top, followed by half of the cheese. Add the remaining half of the chips, followed by the rest of beef, and finish by sprinkling evenly with the remaining half of the cheese. Place in the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
If you would like to know more about National Nacho Day, please click on the links below:
- When is National Nachos Day? November 6! – National Nachos Day
- 15 delicious facts for National Nacho Day – Mental Floss
Want to know more?
ProVen Probiotics aim to provide the best support for both you and your health. If you wish to know more about gut health please do not hesitate to call us on 01639 825107 or alternatively, learn more via our blogs or in-depth ProVen research.
ProVen Probiotics, Unit 2 Christchurch Road, Baglan Industrial Park, Port Talbot, SA12 7DJ. Tel: 01639 825107