Although temperatures have fallen once again, we had a lovely glimpse of spring last week and thought it was the perfect time to start to introduce some nutritious and delicious gut healthy salad recipes for the warmer months.
This first recipe is easy, but includes an ingredient that you might not have tried before – globe artichokes – a well-known prebiotic, containing lots of a specific type of soluble fibre, called inulin, that provides food for the friendly bacteria in our gut. Marinated artichoke hearts can be bought in jars at your local supermarket or delicatessen or you can find them online.
The recipe also contains bitter green leaves, which help to stimulate digestive enzymes and support gallbladder and liver function, onions that also contain prebiotics and olives and tomatoes that both contain high levels of antioxidants.
2 chicken breasts, sliced
2-3 handfuls of rocket/watercress/dandelion leaves
2 marinated artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
Handful black olives, pitted and sliced
½ red onion, thinly sliced
10-12 cherry tomatoes, halved
For the dressing (garlic and herb):
2 garlic cloves, skins on
50ml olive oil
¼ tsp Dijon mustard
1tbsp red wine vinegar
½ tsp coconut sugar
Handful chopped parsley leaves
Ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180℃.
- Roast both the chicken and the garlic in the oven. Take out the garlic when it is soft (after 20-30 minutes) and leave to cool. The chicken will take around 30 minutes to cook through.
- Squeeze roasted garlic into a blender, add the other dressing ingredients and whizz until smooth.
- Put all salad ingredients (except chicken) in a large bowl and mix together.
- Take the chicken out of the oven, slice and place on top of the other salad ingredients.
- Just before serving, pour the dressing over the chicken and salad and mix well.
Want to know more?
ProVen Probiotics aim to provide the best support for both you and your health. If you wish to know more about gut health and staying healthy please do not hesitate to call us on 01639 825107 or alternatively, learn more via our blogs or in-depth ProVen research.