Italians, both rich and poor, have devoured their traditional pizza dish since the 16th century and it is now an indulgent feast enjoyed by many nations, each creating their own particular take on it. Toppings range from cured meats to vegetables, from fruits to seafood and fish.
We’ve updated the traditional pizza to give it a gut-supporting twist, with a cauliflower and almond base and Italian-inspired ‘bianca’ sauce, topped with fruity figs and Manchego cheese from sheep’s milk for added flavour. You can, of course, substitute another cheese of your choice.
Both cauliflower and almonds provide fibre to support the gut and help to feed our gut bacteria. Garlic is also a prebiotic, rocket is a bitter leaf that provides fibre and support for detoxification, figs are known as a natural laxative, helping to keep us regular, and, being made from sheep’s milk, Manchego cheese may be easier for some people to digest.
This recipe is vegetarian and paleo friendly.
1 cauliflower (about 750g)
100g ground almonds
2 eggs, beaten
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp rock salt
1 tsp black pepper
Manchego cheese (or another cheese of your choice)
- Remove leaves and stalk then whizz the cauliflower in a food processor until it’s the size of rice grains (this may have to be done in chunks).
- Place on a baking tray and bake for a few minutes to soften.
- Stir in the ground almonds, egg, oregano, rock salt and black pepper.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment and grease with oil. Place the cauliflower mix into the centre of the tray, then use a spoon and your hands to spread out into a 30cm round. Make it a little thicker at the edges to create a ‘crust’.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until firm.
- Remove from the oven and smear a light covering of garlic puree and add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Add shavings of Manchego cheese and sliced or chopped figs.
- Bake for a further 5 mins until golden brown and starting to crisp a little at the edges.
- Remove from the oven and add rocket leaves to serve.
Want to know more?
ProVen Probiotics aim to provide the best support for both you and your health. If you wish to know more about gut health please do not hesitate to call us on 01639 825107 or alternatively, learn more via our blogs or in-depth ProVen research.
ProVen Probiotics, Unit 2 Christchurch Road, Baglan Industrial Park, Port Talbot, SA12 7DJ. Tel: 01639 825107