There is so much conflicting ‘information’ and ‘advice’ doing the rounds about COVID-19 and the Coronavirus, it is difficult to know what to do and what not to do.
We can all follow the measures being suggested to reduce our chances of being exposed to the virus and boost our immune system in order to be better prepared, should the inevitable happen. Follow some of our suggested recommendations below:
- Avoiding crowded places as much as possible
- Hand washing regularly and thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds each time
- Using hand sanitiser if soap and water are not available – using a sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol
- Covering our mouth and nose if we cough or sneeze
- Trying not to touch our face with unwashed hands – it’s at this point that we notice just how often we touch our faces!
- Keeping surfaces clean – including door handles, phones, keyboards, remote controls and all bathroom and kitchen surfaces
This is also the perfect time to implement measures that help to boost your and your family members’ immune systems, both to help protect against the virus and for the long term.
Boost your immune system naturally
There are a number of lifestyle and dietary measures we can take to support our immune system and build our resilience.
Lifestyle factors include:
- Get outside every day regardless of the weather – stay away from other people, but spend time walking in nature, on the beach or in the park
- Get 7-8 hours of good quality sleep every night – sleep helps to support our immune system
- Reduce or find ways to manage stress (and fear) as chronic stress may negatively affect our immune system – try meditation, deep-breathing, yoga
- Exercise or get active daily – moderate, regular physical activity helps to boost immune function by increasing white blood cells and antibodies that fight infection – aerobic exercise also helps to improve cardiovascular function
- Spend time away from electronic gadgets and screens
- If you smoke or vape, stop immediately
And nutrition/dietary measures include:
- Stay hydrated at all times – drink at least 8 glasses of water a day
- Cut down on sugar intake
- Reduce alcohol consumption (and definitely don’t bulk buy it)
- Aim to eat 8-10 portions of vegetables and fruit every day
- Make sure you have a high intake of vitamins that help to support the immune system
- Vitamin C – found in citrus fruit, tomatoes, peppers, broccoli and other brightly-coloured fruit and vegetables
- Vitamin D – in salmon, eggs and full-fat milk – but mostly found in sunshine as we get closer to summer
- Zinc – in nuts and seeds, oats, oysters
- Selenium – in Brazil nuts, wheat germ, tuna, calf’s liver
- Probiotics – in sauerkraut, kefir and natural yoghurt
If you do experience symptoms, the following natural practices are worth a try:
- Supplementing the nutrients listed above
- Take lots of rest and give your body time to recover
- Drink lots of fluids – water, homemade vegetable or bone broths, herbal teas, including ginger, eucalyptus, chamomile and peppermint
- If you have a sore throat, gargle salt water or add a teaspoon of honey and the juice of half a lemon to about 2 inches of hot water – take both every few hours or as often as you feel the need
- Humidifiers, vaporisers and steam inhalers can help with nasal and sinus congestion
- A spoonful of raw honey can help soothe coughs and sore throats
Finally, don’t panic and manage your risk by spending as little time as possible in crowded places and, if you think you might have the virus or have been in contact with anybody who is suspected of having it, stay at home and look after yourself.
Please do contact our in-house nutritionist if you have any questions – call 01639 825107 or email her at email@example.com/uk
Want to know more?
ProVen Probiotics aim to provide the best support for both you and your health. If you wish to know more about gut health and staying healthy please do not hesitate to call us on 01639 825107 or alternatively, learn more via our blogs or in-depth ProVen research.
ProVen Probiotics, Unit 2 Christchurch Road, Baglan Industrial Park, Port Talbot, SA12 7DJ. Tel: 01639 825107