Whether you’re a fan of pumpkin pie or pumpkin soup, pumpkins are much more than just a Halloween ‘Jack-o-lantern’!
Here are 10 fun facts about pumpkins to share with your friends:
- Pumpkins originated in Mexico and date back to 7000BC.
- Pumpkins are fruits as they have edible seeds on the inside – scoop them out, roast them on a low heat and add to salads, soups and porridge.
- Water comprises 80-90% of a pumpkin’s content.
- The world’s largest pumpkin pie weighed over 1,000 kilos.
- There are hundreds of varieties of pumpkin.
- Uncut pumpkins can be stored for up to three months in a dry, dark, cool place.
- Pumpkins are high in potassium, an essential mineral and electrolyte.
- Pumpkins have edible flowers that taste great when shallow fried in rapeseed oil.
- The word pumpkin comes from the Greek word ‘pepon’, meaning large melon.
- Orange pumpkins owe their colour to a compound called beta-carotene – the same pigment found in carrots.
And pumpkins are also great for our gut:
- They are full of fibre, which helps to form stools, keep us regular and feed our gut bacteria.
- Potassium supports normal cell function throughout the body and low levels may lead to constipation and fatigue.
- Beta-carotene is converted to vitamin A which contributes to the maintenance of mucous membranes, such as that lining the inside of the gut wall.
If you liked this article on pumpkin gut health, then check out some of these too:
- Vegan pumpkin soup with gut microbiome-friendly prebiotics – Atlas Biomed
- 6 surprising health benefits of pumpkin – WebMD
Want to know more?
ProVen Probiotics aim to provide the best support for both you and your health. If you wish to know more about gut health please do not hesitate to call us on 01639 825107 or alternatively, learn more via our blogs or in-depth ProVen research.
ProVen Probiotics, Unit 2 Christchurch Road, Baglan Industrial Park, Port Talbot, SA12 7DJ. Tel: 01639 825107