A warming gut-friendly spiced pumpkin recipe for Bonfire Night.
Spiced pumpkin, butternut squash and sweet potatoes all contain high levels of fibre, which supports healthy digestion, and provide lots of beta carotene (vitamin A), which supports the structure of skin and other body membranes (including the gut wall).
Ginger, coriander and turmeric are all anti-inflammatory spices that also provide support for gut health.
Serves: 6 Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes
A healthy and tasty dish, which is quick and easy to prepare. The hint of spice gives this smooth and silky soup an extra kick. Ingredients given are easily adapted.
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 inch chunk root ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground turmeric
½ pumpkin or 1 small butternut squash, chopped into cubes
2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped into cubes
Around 500ml chicken or vegetable stock (depending on consistency required)
1. Fry the onions and garlic gently in the oil.
2. Add the spices – ginger, turmeric and coriander.
3. Add the diced pumpkin and sweet potato to the pan with the bone or vegetable broth.
4. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
5. Blend all the ingredients together until smooth using a food processor or hand blender.
Hey presto! Serve your spiced pumpkin soup.