November is Veg Pledge month, with people raising funds for Cancer Research UK by turning vegetarian or vegan for the month.
Here’s our favourite meat-free bolognaise recipe for anyone who’s taken on the Veg Pledge. One of the most versatile meals we can think of, this simple recipe can be turned into a number of different dishes. We’re thinking straight bolognaise, chili, shepherd’s pie or even lasagne!
Preparation time: 50 minutes (plus 30 minutes’ resting time)
1 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
2 sticks celery, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 large courgette, diced
1 red pepper, cored and diced
125g mushrooms, diced
250g Puy lentils
1 tin tomatoes (whole or chopped)
1tbsp tomato purée
400ml water (fill the empty tomato tin)
Pasta, rice, mash etc. to serve – see ideas below.
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan and gently sweat the onion, garlic and celery for 5 minutes.
2. Add the diced carrots, courgette, red pepper and mushrooms and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the Puy lentils, tinned tomatoes, tomato purée and water and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 25 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked. If using whole tomatoes, break any large pieces apart with a spoon.
4. Turn off the heat and allow to sit for a further 30 minutes for the lentils to absorb more liquid.
5. Serve with pasta for a simple bolognaise, add some chili and enjoy with rice and guacamole, top with mash for a veggie shepherd’s pie, or add white sauce and pasta sheets for a lasagne.
Find out more about Veg Pledge
Want to know more?
ProVen Probiotics aim to provide the best support for both you and your health. If you wish to know more about gut health and staying healthy please do not hesitate to call us on 01639 825107 or alternatively, learn more via our blogs or in-depth ProVen research.