Supporting your child’s gut and brain development
Probiotics help the body digest and absorb nutrients from food so that your child can grow and maintain a healthy weight and increased energy levels. Due to the gut-brain connection, children with unhealthy gut microbiomes may experience more problems with learning, attention, and memory. Therefore, supporting your child’s gut and brain connection is vital for overall well-being.
- Include as wide a variety of vegetables as possible in your child’s diet every week. The fibre from the vegetables provides food for the friendly types of bacteria in the microbiome.
- Include specific prebiotic foods in this vegetable list – prebiotics are specific fibres that feed the friendly bacteria and they include onions, garlic, leeks, bananas, asparagus, Jerusalem artichoke and dandelion greens.
- Reduce the amount of sugar your child has each day – sugar feeds the more ‘unfriendly’ types of bacteria.
- Add a serving of probiotic foods that contain healthy bacteria to your family meals daily – these foods include natural live yoghurt, natural kefir, sauerkraut, kombucha, kimchi and pickles. Find food from this list that your child enjoys and include it as often as possible.
- Only give your child antibiotics for bacterial infections – antibiotics kill both the friendly and unfriendly bacteria and can affect the composition of the microbiome following use. If you or your child does need to take antibiotics, take a research-backed, high-strength friendly bacteria supplement both alongside and following the course.
- Be wary of antibacterial cleaners and soaps as these also remove all bacteria (both good and bad) from the skin and the environment.
- Encourage your children to play outside and get dirty as often as possible.
You might also consider giving your children a friendly bacteria supplement on an ongoing basis, particularly if their diet does not include a lot of vegetables or the other foods mentioned above and especially if they have taken multiple courses of antibiotics.
Please contact us if you would like any further information about our ProVen Probiotics.
Want to know more?
Pro-Ven Probiotics aim to provide the best support for both you and your health. If you wish to know more about gut health and brain development in your child, please do not hesitate to call us on 01639 825107 or alternatively, learn more via our blogs or in-depth proven research.
ProVen Probiotics, Unit 2 Christchurch Road, Baglan Industrial Park, Port Talbot, SA12 7DJ. Tel: 01639 825107