National curry week is taking place in the UK from 4th to 10th October this year, giving us an extra incentive to enjoy warming, spicy meals as the autumn nights draw in. We have a vegan sweet potato and chickpea curry to share with you, full of ingredients that support your gut health at the same time as being tasty!
These gut-friendly benefits include prebiotic fibre in red onions; fibre in chickpeas and sweet potato (also full of carotenoids for eye health); anti-spasmodic, carminative effects from ginger; anti-inflammatory effects from turmeric and easily digested medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil and coconut milk.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
1 red onion, chopped
2 medium sweet potatoes, washed and cut into 2cm pieces
1 tin (400g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tin (400ml) coconut milk
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground turmeric
A handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Juice of half a lime
Brown basmati or wild rice to serve
1. Heat the coconut oil in a large pan and gently fry the red onion until cooked.
2. Add the ginger, ground coriander, ground cumin and ground turmeric and fry for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the diced sweet potatoes, chickpeas and coconut milk and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the sweet potato is soft.
4. Turn off the heat and allow to sit for a further 10 minutes for the flavours to meld.
5. Serve with brown basmati or wild rice, a scattering of coriander leaves and a squeeze of lime juice.
Some more curry ideas
Want to know more?
Pro-Ven Probiotics aim to provide the best support for both you and your health. If you wish to know more about gut health and staying healthy please do not hesitate to call us on 01639 825107 or alternatively, learn more via our blogs or in-depth proven research.