It’s officially spring, with blue skies, warm temperatures and blossom greeting us each day.
With gut health and the microbiome always on our minds, we wanted to share some reasons why getting outside each day in the sun to enjoy nature is beneficial for health in general, and gut health in particular.
Some health benefits from being outside
- Sunlight early in the morning can help to reset our internal body clock, known as the circadian rhythm. This can help with energy levels throughout the day, as well as improving sleep patterns in the long term.
- As the days get longer and the sun becomes stronger, being outside will provide some vitamin D. It’s not quite sunny enough for vitamin D production yet – look for days when your shadow is shorter than you.
- Studies are showing that touching plants, soil, trees and grass can benefit our gut health. Getting soil and mud on our hands when gardening, or just out on a walk, exposes us to the microorganisms present all around us, and can boost our own beneficial bacteria.
- Regular time spent outside has been shown to have a positive effect on our mental health and can also help boost immune health.
- Research shows that being surrounded by nature can also reduce stress and anxiety, improve sleep and boost memory.
Not a bad list of health benefits for just being outside each day!
However, often life gets in the way and it can be hard to schedule time in nature each day. To truly get the benefits it’s also good to touch and interact with the world around you.
Ideas for interacting with nature this spring
- Go foraging – nettles and wild garlic can easily be turned into a delicious soup. Or pick edible flowers or dandelion leaves to add to a salad
- Plant some herbs or salad leaves for the kitchen windowsill
- Take a family nature walk – before you go, draw up a list of things for each of you to try and find. These could include flowers, feathers, leaves, fallen blossom etc.
- Go wild swimming
- Tidy up the garden after the winter – without gloves!
- Touch the world around you – so often we keep hands in pockets or holding things. Touch the trees, gate posts, flowers and buds as you pass them.
Interacting with nature rather than observing it from afar is the key. Get dirty, have a good time, and enhance your beneficial bacteria all at the same time.
Want more ideas to enjoy nature?
Fun ways to enjoy nature outside with your children – Family Action
Days out – National Trust
Want to know more?
ProVen Probiotics aim to provide the best support for both you and your health. If you wish to know more about gut health, please do not hesitate to call us on 01639 825107 or alternatively, learn more via our blogs or in-depth ProVen research.
ProVen Probiotics, Unit 2 Christchurch Road, Baglan Industrial Park, Port Talbot, SA12 7DJ. Tel: 01639 825107